Wednesday 30 November 2011

Believe The Best

Expectations. We all have them. We expect certain things from certain people. Sometimes one can go as far as building up an image that someone has to live up to... And when they don't quite reach those expectations we feel let down because of what we actually end up experiencing, right?

I find it strange that because we are human, we have so much ability to do so much in the lives of others yet our flaws make it possible for us to do so many stupid things. In addition to none of us being perfect, we proceed to make life more complicated. Guys can say that girls complicate things unnecessarily but let me just say that guys aren't completely innocent either.

Speaking from a personal point of view, I know that it's so easy to just assume the worst of someone. Luckily it's something that is a choice and we have the ability to control. Recently I've learnt that there's a gap between what we expect and what we experience. We can choose to fill the gap with either "assuming the worst" or "believing the best". It's the most common thing just to assume that people will let us down because that's just how society has trained us to think. All that assuming the worst does is ruin relationships. Why? Because you convince yourself that you cannot trust that other person and what's a relationship without trust? A broken one.


I'm the kind of person that usually believes the best in people. Sometimes, however, I'm blind to whether people actually genuinely have good intentions or if they're just using me. So basically what I'm getting at is that I get hurt a lot. I'm a push over... A doormat... A people pleaser. Yes, one of those. I'm cool with that. You may not be though, so just be careful. Believe the best until they actually do something to break your trust. Don't break it prematurely.


Believe the best about others. Believe the best about yourself.


--J.

No comments:

Post a Comment