Tuesday 22 November 2011

Language and Literature

I write both my English Literature and Language Exams tomorrow. I can hardly say that I've studied though. One would think that English would be relatively easy considering it's the language we communicate with. The only difference is that in education, we are not taught 'our' English... We are taught the English that is socially accepted as 'correct'. 


I'm sure if someone tested the grade 11 student body at my high school on colloquial English grammar, we would all pass with relatively high marks on the most part. Perhaps it's just me that sometimes finds English to be very archaic. 


I spent today writing a 3 hour Life Science exam (that was easier than expected, I will have you know), followed by an hour of extra Maths and English Revision for two hours further. Needless to say that I am quite tired today so no other studying took place on my end today- I'm not ashamed to admit that.I think I've somehow accepted the fact that I want be receiving an 80% or more for both papers. I don't think I know the work specifically enough... yet nor do I want to.


In essence, what I have almost 'discovered'-if you will- or perhaps confirmed is that in life one has to pick one's battles... and very carefully. Life tends to pass you by more easily if you don't have some sort of game plan- no matter how casual or loose it may be. For me, I have to constantly remind myself of where my priorities lie. So for me English isn't a priority for me but Maths is and so is my Drama Prac (which I have prep for tomorrow morning at 7.15! Aaah!). That's a mediocre example but I'm hoping you'll see my point.


If you don't really understand why I decided to name this post 'Language and Literature' because it doesn't really represent all I've been talking about... Just now that I haven't a clue either.  Remember, I named my blog after teacups so I'm not one for conventional names per say. 


No pictures to brighten the post this time. I thought it would be perhaps a bit more fitting if this were just words... just English.


So that's it... My words.


--J.

No comments:

Post a Comment