Monday 9 September 2013

Clean Break

Nobody ever
Taught me how to let go
They always just
Assumed
That I would know...
But I don't 
And I can't
Because it's hard.
It weighs heavy
On my soul
In my mind
In my heart
I'm no longer a part
Of your life any more.
You walked out
Of some imaginary
Door.
I'm still lying on the floor,
Hoping you'll come
Back.
Hoping things will get back
On track.
But they won't...

So now I need a clean break
I need to cut myself off
From the things 
And the people
Who made me feel like 
I'm a mistake.
I'm so weak
Because I spent my strength
On people
Who didn't need it.
People who didn't mean it
When they said they cared,
When they said they loved
Me.
I need a clean break
From the 'friends'
Who didn't keep in touch
From those who thought
I was getting to be
'Too much'.
I need to get away
From those who ran away
I need to stop thinking
They'll change their minds
One day.
I need a clean break
From the users
And, most importantly, from the verbal
Abusers.
The people who disguise
Themselves
As those who
'Will never hurt you'
But they're the ones
Who made me hate myself;
Beat myself
Up...
On the inside and the outside.
The ones who led me to believe
That suicide
Was a good idea.
I would've looked past 
My fear
Of dying...
Just to give up trying
To please everyone,
Just to get rid of everything,
All the pain;
To prevent it from happening again - 
To let go for good.
For a while
I thought no one would mind
If I would. 
If I said goodbye for once
And for all...
One final fall.

Turns out
There are more people who
Love me 
Than hate me,
More who cherish me
Than despise me...
More who want me 
To Live
Than those who want me
To Die.
And for them I'll make 
A clean break
For them, I'll keep on
Smiling.
For them, I'll keep on
Living,
Loving,
Laughing...
For them,
I will be all that I can be
And so much more.
For them, 
Not only will I fly...
I will soar
Because THEY 
Are my clean break -
The people who taught me
That I'm not a mistake,
The people who showed me
My love is a gift
And not merely a handout
The people who brought me
Back to God
Who I no longer doubt.
The Devil broke me,
But God remade me...
He changed me.
So I am better for 
Being broken.
Because into me, 
His Word was spoken.
And now I'm made new...
Ready to forgive you,
Ready to forgive all who 
Have hurt me
And to forget 
And to be free 
Of painful memory...

Only to remember 
Grace
And a lesson
In its place.

--J.


No comments:

Post a Comment