Thursday 17 October 2013

I Can't Run The World

It's not that I don't like running... It's that I hate running. I'm not saying that out of laziness and I'm not saying that out of lack of determination to reach my goals. It's just that if there was one thing I could by-pass in my plan to lose weight it would be running. There is nothing in this world that makes me feel more useless as a human being.

Before I say anything further I would just like to say that I know that I'm being a melodramatic about this entire thing and I should prob just deal with my issues and get over it already. That, however, takes time. It also takes a bit more understanding, on my part, of myself. I have such a skewed self-concept and self-esteem that it's going to take a lot to just simply understand the root problems that have resulted in the petty issues I seem to have in regards to my body.

Okay, running. Running is an extremely good way to burn calories, lose weight and get fit in a healthy way. I've heard that countless times and I don't dispute the fact that it is true (there is too much evidence to prove that it is, in fact, true). It's just something that I have not yet been able to bring myself to do voluntarily. Yes, I sound utterly ridiculous right now but it's true. 

Running is deeply uncomfortable for me so on a physical level it isn't something I particularly enjoy doing. I've been told so many times that I will get used to it as I run more often and more consistently... I know all that cool stuff and whatever but it doesn't mean anything to me at the moment. I'm not a completely stagnant, inactive person and it's not like I've never attempted to run in my life - that's so far from the truth. I was forced, all throughout primary school, to take part in athletics days that would result in me feeling humiliated after finishing last in some stupid 200m race. I played sport like netball in primary school and then in high school I played cricket - the sports in themselves were fun and enjoyed the exercise in that way... but when it came to the compulsory fitness i.e. a lot of running, I went back to despising what I was doing.

To me, running is symbolic of failure and if you know me relatively well you know that I hate and fear failure and the very idea of failing at something. I hate doing things I'm not good at and yes that means I am somewhat denying myself multiple opportunities and new experiences but I don't do things in the same way other people do anyway, okay... I'll stop being a baby and I'll get over it eventually. I just need to take my time in getting to a place where I'm unashamed of who I am and of my body.

Right now, with the frame of mind that I have right now... I would say that I am not as confident as I'd like to be in order to start running. I wouldn't be able to run anywhere out of the fear that someone may see me and judge me - that fat girl trying to run herself skinny but to no avail. I wouldn't be able to run with  friends out of the fear of being to slow and letting them down as well as appearing useless and unfit to them. I just can't afford to feel useless at anything else - just let me stick to what I know for a while until I stop being a girl and get over myself.

So this blog post, funnily enough, has been helping me to procrastinate instead of going for my daily gym session - you see, I do exercise! I just really don't want to run... Sigh, I know I'll probably end up running eventually and when I do, I shall keep you posted on my progress and my journey to a skinnier and fitter me.

Off to my running-free gym session for the day!

--J.

No comments:

Post a Comment